Saturday, January 14, 2012

Salad - Apple Jicama Coleslaw

Knowing that I had to make good on my "weird vegetable challenge", I did a little more research on the 'Tube and came up with this coleslaw recipe. Adapted from this video, I modded it a bit by not adding as much hot sauce, and adding cilantro to the dressing. Personally, I don't like coleslaw, but it's probably the soupy, wet cabbage that you get at a certain chicken restaurant chain, and I really liked the crisp vegetables. The apple and jicama added a sweet flavor as well that replaced the need for added sugar. I guess the challenge was a success after all-- I tried and liked something I didn't like before, and I learned to cook with a new food, which I love!



Recipe:
20 minutes
8+ Servings

Ingredients

  • 1/2 large red cabbage, julienned
  • 2 fuji or gala apples, julienned
  • 1/2 jicama, julienned
  • 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
Dressing:
  • 3/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 bunch cilantro, stems removed
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon Cholula hot sauce, original flavor

Julienne vegetables and apples and place in a large salad tossing bowl. Add dressing ingredients to a food process and process until liquefied and cilantro is in small chunks. Dressing should be a light green color. Toss vegetables with dressing and let rest 5 minutes. Retoss and serve immediately.

5 Stars
Bon Appetit! The Outdoors Start at Your Back Porch!

No comments:

Post a Comment