Monday, January 16, 2012

A Night to Remember: Market Street Broiler

Friday night my wife and I went out to eat at Market Street Broiler, 260 S 1300 E Salt Lake City. The likes of which I am not affluent enough to sustain a long term relationship with, but we had a gift card. I don't think the English lexicon, or any language has a word powerful enough to describe the flavors we experienced. Knowing this opportunity comes once in a great Bluepoint oyster moon, I decided to create a menu that would enable me to taste as many flavors as possible.

Course #1. Raw oysters.
Understand first that I've never eaten raw shellfish before. And my upbringing was heavily influenced by my sweet mother that invited us to always try new things. I decided to try both Bluepoint oysters (Chesapeake Bay) and Kumamoto oysters (California). Having never eaten them, I tried them purist style-- without any accoutrements. Kumamoto was first. My first bite was a bit too salty (I didn't drain the seawater) but then rendered into a a creamy, buttery flavor that was not too chewy and didn't feel slimy. It was soft and like butter. Cleansing my palette, it was time for the Bluepoint. Learning my lesson, I ditched the seawater and tasted a lightly salty, creamy texture, very savory with a hint of buttery kick. I fell in love. Literally, as I am writing this, drool is running down my chin anticipating my next oyster hit. I think next time, I'm only going to lightly top them with a hint of lemon juice. I tried the vinegar and horseradish, and avoided the cocktail sauce-- I might as well have put ketchup on them. Must. Have. Oysters.

Course #2. Clam Chowder
With the server lightly topping my soup with cracked black pepper, this creamy soup really delivered a knock out to my taste buds. Lightly salty, but only from the clams themselves, the flavor of the chewy (but not in a bad way) clams complements the new potatoes and thick creamy base. Its simplicity was perfect, a hearty soup with just enough clams and potatoes to round it out. I should have gotten a take home jar.

Course #3. Surf &; Turf
A New York prime strip (6 oz) and half an Australian lobster tail. I like my steak medium rare, and the server didn't ask about sauce, but it really didn't need anything. It cut like butter and was juicy and tender. Being the best steak I've ever (and may ever) had, was lightly seasoned with just salt and pepper (and therefore perfect). When I saw half a lobster tail on the menu, I thought I'd be eating small food, and I don't know what those Aussies are feeding their lobsters, but it was quite a lot of meat. It appeared to be steamed, and the meat separated from the exoskeleton well. Dressed with simply melted butter, the light, almost popcorn like meat melted in my mouth. Usually, when you get a good entree, the sides leave something to be desired. Not so. The surf & turf was served with a mountain of onion straws and buttered buttered green beans. These beans were perfect! Stabbing them in the middle, they slid into your mouth and were not too crunchy or too soft. It's hard to describe, but it was delicious! I really liked the onions straws, probably because their garlicky corn based coating reminded me of Funion chips. That's not a bad thing. I almost ate them all.

We didn't leave much room for dessert, but decided to take some back to my folks to thank them for watching our kids. Dad got a raspberry almond torte, and Mom got a key lime pie. They looked amazing.

I highly recommend any SLC local to Market Street. It's a bit pricey, but reasonable for the quality of the food. How often can you have lobster in Utah that was swimming in Australia yesterday?

Back Porch Gourmet | Live Right. Eat Well.

No comments:

Post a Comment