Saturday, January 14, 2012

Barbecue - Hickory Smoked Pulled Pork

Wow. Talk about a busy day. I had decided I was going to smoke a pork roast, bake sourdough rolls, slow cook Boston baked beans in the dutch oven and squeeze in a few errands. As is true of all good things in life, the best things are worth the wait. Tonight's pulled pork was no exception. Missla and I had invited over our friends and I wanted to create a meal to impress, so I figured bread that took 2 weeks to prepare, and a meal that takes 8 hours of cooking would fit the bill. Well, my rolls ended up being sourdough cookies, and they weren't sour at all. So instead, we grabbed some dinner rolls at the last minute and it all worked out great. Next time, I'll leave the baking up to the trained masters at my local bakery. The pork was very tender and didn't need much sauce, but the recipe below is pretty good, and we also used some leftover Alabama barbecue sauce from the pork chops earlier. I actually liked it a lot on the pulled pork. It gave a nice savory flavor to the meat and the zing from the apple cider vinegar was a nice complement.


Recipe:

Low heat
Indirect cooking
6 hours
8 Servings

Ingredients
  • Boston butt pork roast, untrimmed
  • Chipotle seasoning rub (commercial)
  • Apple juice (for the drip pan)
Rub the meat with the seasoning rub until well coated. Set up a kettle grill for indirect heating by placing a foil roasting pan (drip pan) in the center of the grill bottom and add apple juice until half full. Add hot coals to the sides of the drip pan and add soaked hickory wood chips. Replace the grill grate and add the meat above the drip pan. Smoke for 6 hours, replacing charcoal and wood chips often. Remove meat from grill and let rest. Pull meat apart with forks and serve with your favorite sauce.

Mustard Sauce
  • 1 part mustard
  • 1 part dill pickle juice
  • Cholula hot sauce to taste
  • Salt
  • Pepper
Mix in a squeeze bottle and let age in the refrigerator 1-2 hours.



5 Stars
Bon Appetit! The Outdoors Start at Your Back Porch!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks really good. What happened with the sourdough?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started it 2 weeks ago, didn't feed or stir it as much as I should. Created the barm the morning of, and I think the cold air coming in from my back porch chilled the wild yeast out. It didn't even taste like sourdough. Too many irons in the fire. Next time, I'll just focus on making bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love white bbq sauce but haven't tried it on pulled pork for some reason. I have totally got to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Chris- I keep 'bamma sauce on hand and pretty much put it on everything... potatoes, chicken, pork, my eggs in the morning... maybe not.

    ReplyDelete