Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving Turkey Part II - Deep Frying

After having a recurring nightmare of me burning down my in-laws house, I was really glad that A, it didn't happen, and B, it was prevented by the Masterbuilt Electric Turkey Fryer I won last year from Larry's Blog. He's got a great site, go check him out! Deep fried turkey has ruined all other turkey for me. I love the juicy warm soft meat, the crispy golden brown skin... Pardon me, I think I'm going to hit the refrigerator for a turkey sandwich. Ahem... 


I'm back. This is one thing you should definitely K.I.S.S., and you really don't need a lot of seasoning after yesterday's brine. Just rub it in a little pepper, but NO SALT! The bird will be seasoned well with salt inside the meat. Now Masterbuilt has well taken the house burning down out of the equation, but remember that the oil is at 375 degrees, and could kill a village if spilled, so keep little ones away from the fryer, and camp out until its done. Trust me, you won't be there long. If you can't stand just standing there, get a cool beverage, but stay focused. Every fryer ninja needs to defend his zone. Keep other people safe, keep yourself safe.


This potentially is the best food I've ever had, and it definitely is the best turkey I've ever had. The brining really locks in those juices, my fingers were literally soaked during carving. Just in case, if you don't know how to carve, learn from the best.


Recipe:
Masterbuilt Electric Turkey Fryer
375 Degrees
Deep Frying
3.5/4 minutes per pound

Ingredients


  • Brined Turkey
  • Pepper
  • 2 gallons oil
Tools
  • Masterbuilt Electric Turkey Fryer
  • Meat Thermometer
  • Leather Gloves
Preheat oil in fryer to 375. Pat dry turkey inside and out, then rub with pepper. Load into fryer basket and SLOWLY lower into the hot oil. Set the timer accordingly: 3.5 - 4 minutes per pound. In our case, the bird was 10 pounds, so I cooked it for 35 minutes and the thighs registered 170. Remove from oil and hang on lip to drain. When rested, move basket out to cool. When the basket is cool enough to handle, invert the bird on a cutting board, let rest and carve the turkey.


5 Stars
Bon Appetit! The Outdoors Start at Your Back Porch!

No comments:

Post a Comment