Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thanksgiving Favorites Roundup 2011

Here at the Back Porch Gourmet, we love us some Thanksgiving. Food, family, food, football, food, sleep, and then leftovers. Yup, it's a perfect storm of good things coming together. So, I'm thankful for my sweet wife and awesome kids, my family (both in-laws and out-laws), good food, great fans, followers and facebookers. I'm thankful that God put me on this earth so I can grow and share my talents with the world on this fun blog. Thanks to all of you readers for your support and listening to my highs and lows in my outdoor kitchen. So now it's your turn. Take a look at this roundup and think of what you are thankful for. Sound off in the comments.

From my kitchen to yours,

Andy

1.  Deep Fried Turkey

When I was 8, my Uncle tried to burn down his aspen tree and remove Grandpa's eyebrows when he buried a stockpot in hot coals and dropped a turkey in hot oil, that had not been measured properly. Deep frying a turkey in my indoor Masterbuilt fryer takes the "burn down your house" risk out of the frying equation by using submersible heating elements and a measure-to fill line. I recommend it.



If turkey isn't your thing, get a spiral sliced ham and cook it up dutch oven style. Always a crowd pleaser. 



Nothing commemorates pilgrims almost starving to death and being rescued by the friendly locals than a good cranberry sauce. This sweet yet tart sauce gives you the pick me up on thanksgiving morning that you need, especially since you'll be listening to uncle Harold snore all afternoon. Enjoy your food coma.


Mmmmm... carrots, brown sugar- what else do I need to say? Carrots, the sweetest of the root vegetables. Except sugar beets. And sweet potatoes, especially when you put those little marshmallows on them and toast them in the oven. Pardon me, I need to go wipe the drool from my chin...






5. Pumpkin Pecan Pie

Face it. You've been cooking all day. Who wants to cook a pie? Not me. This no bake makes gluttony easy. Just add redi-whip.

 


Bon Appetit! The Outdoors Start at Your Back Porch!

No comments:

Post a Comment