Friday, October 7, 2011

Apples & Oranges - A New Dutch Oven Challenge

My buddy Mark sent me a comment about a new Dutch Oven Challenge that he is hosting on Mark's Black Pot. Below you'll find the details from his challenge quoted from his site:

"“You can’t compare apples to oranges!”  So the saying goes.

Well, in this dutch oven challenge, we won’t compare.  Instead, we will combine.


I got to thinking about these two fruits, and how much I love the luscious flavors of each one.  I started thinking how much I love to combine savory meats and sweet flavors together onto the same dish.  So, here’s the challenge, open to any dutch oven chef:

Prepare a dish using the following ingredients:

  • Apples (in any form)
  • Oranges (in any form)
  • Any meat (some kind of meat must be included)
  • Mint (in any form)
  • Other ingredients, spices, and seasonings as you see fit.



The dish should be as original as possible.  Go to the ‘net for ideas, if you wish, but try and make it your own.

When completed, publish your finished dish (preferably with pictures) here in the IDOS forums, or at your own blog or website.  Then come back here and put in a comment with a link!

Let’s see what we can come up with!-Mark Hansen, www.marksblackpot.com
I'll be throwing my hat into the ring on this one in the next few weeks.  I don't want to spoil it, but I'm thinking smoking apples in applewood might be pretty meta...

These challenges really make you grow as a chef. They force you out of your comfort zone and make you try things you never would have. When I do these, I also try to incorporate a style of cooking that I am not very familiar with. I challenge everyone to participate in these events and if you don't have a blog, send me some photos and a few comments and I'll post it up here as a guest contribution with full credit.



If you have a cooking blog, please post this up with links back to Mark's Black Pot so we can spread the word about this challenge.

Bon Appetit! The Outdoors Start at Your Back Porch!

No comments:

Post a Comment