Sunday, August 21, 2011

Backpacking - Seafood Couscous Stew

 

This weekend my brothers and father and I went backpacking to Wall Lake in the High Uinta Wilderness. I had hoped to have some fresh caught trout to add to this stew, but unfortunately we came back empty handed the first night. It wasn't until my oldest brother and his son went down and fished the pools in the stream that we caught much. He came back with a stringer full of 8 beautiful trout. Guess what I had for lunch that day? Not ramen noodles. This stew was put together in my head as I walked the aisles of the grocery store, and I was worried I'd be forced to eat something yucky. Boy I was wrong! This was one of my best backpacking meals yet. It would be good with some trout or maybe some steamed crawfish as well. 

 
This photo doesn't do this dish justice, and I had eaten more than half of it before I remembered to take a photo.


Recipe:
2 liter pot
Backpacking stove
15 minutes
2 servings

Ingredients
  • 1 pouch Maggi "Crema de Mariscos" seafood soup mix
  • 1 pouch Knorr Vegetable Soup/Dip mix
  • 1 pouch tunafish in water
  • 1/2 cup Couscous
  • 4 cups water

At home:


Package the couscous in a plastic zip-top bag and put all the pouches in a labeled gallon size bag for convenience.

At camp:
Boil 4 cups water. Add soup mix and vegetable mix. Stir until thick. Turn heat to low. Add couscous and tunafish. Simmer 5 minutes until couscous is tender. Let stand 5 minutes and enjoy.


5 Stars
Bon Appetit! The Outdoors Start at Your Back Porch!

No comments:

Post a Comment