Sunday, July 24, 2011

Happy Pioneer Day!

Here in Utah, we celebrate the Mormon Pioneers settling the Salt Lake Valley on July 24, 1847. For me, it usually meant parades, barbecues and picnics up the canyon. I think of my ancestors, who sacrificed and many died crossing the plains to reach the American West. They cooked in their cast iron pots every day, so the Utah State Pot is the Dutch Oven. Here's a round up of "Chuck Wagon" type recipes for you to try this Pioneer Day Weekend.

10. Chuck Wagon Chicken








Bon Appetit! The Outdoors Start at Your Back Porch!




Bon Appetit! The Outdoors Start at Your Back Porch!

2 comments:

  1. What! You tring to make me hungery, or jealous? Sure do miss Pioneer Day in Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those all look so yummy, I'll have to read through each one. I have learned so much reading yours and a few other blogs and have started using DO and cast iron pans outdoors. It's been great fun and delicious too!

    Thank you for all you share.

    ReplyDelete