Sunday, November 7, 2010

Dutch Oven - Sunflower Oat Bread, Revisited


Last week's Sunflower Oat Bread was tasty, but it didn't seem to raise, so I wanted to give it another shot. This morning, I donned my new Camp Chef apron (they sent it for participating in their Halloween contest.) and started mixing it up. I activated the yeast in hot tap water, not microwaving it. Dumped the dry ingredients, butter and omitted the syrup and mixed in the water. This dough was very sticky, and I kept adding flour as I kneaded it. And I really kneaded that bread. I smooshed and rolled until it passed the windowpane test, and set it in a greased bowl, covered it and placed it on my heating vent to raise. (Consequently, I also set my heater to 72.) Then we headed off to church. Three hours later, I came home and found a ball of dough exactly as I left it. Rats! No, I don't think rats ate the part that raised, but I'm going to keep trying.

I preheated my Dutch oven and set the dough in. I've been turning the lid and oven in opposite directions every fifteen minutes. I just popped the lid off and it has risen a little, but it is not filling my 12" dutch oven. I hope you don't mind the play by plays, but its easier to keep up with the posts if I write them as soon as I can. Sometimes writing them as I do them is the easiest way to keep up.

I let it bake for 60 minutes, turning the lid and oven every fifteen minutes. It did not fill my Dutch oven, but rose a little bit. In fact, it rose enough to tear the surface of the crust. The crumb was pretty dense, but that wasn't a bad thing. I'm starting to believe that this is just the way this bread crumbles. It's great with jam hot out of the oven, and it may not be a sandwich recipe. I adapted it from a bread machine recipe, so maybe I need to let the machine make it to see how it is supposed to be.

This go round, it climbed the ratings charts with an extra point. I like the density of the crumb, and the crunchiness from the oats and sunflower seeds is great!

Recipe:
12" Dutch oven
350 Degrees
Baking
60 minutes
4 Servings

1 1/3 cup water
1 tsp active dry yeast

2 tbs butter, softened
1 1/2 cups bread flour
1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup rolled oats

Warm water and mix with yeast. Set aside to activate. Mix all ingredients and knead until the dough passes the windowpane test. Let raise 3 hours. Bake at 350 for 60 minutes. Let cool before cutting.

4 Stars

Bon Appetit! The Outdoors Start at Your Back Porch!

1 comment:

  1. I pretend to be a bread expert around here. This is what I would try:

    If you're going to use wheat flour, you really need gluten. Wheat bread will not rise without it, as there is very little gluten in wheat bread. You can find it in the baking aisle at the grocery store.

    Also? I would increase your yeast to a tablespoon. That is just not a whole lot of yeast for a whole lot of flour. Try that and return and bring me word.

    ReplyDelete