Sunday, November 21, 2010

Dutch Oven - Sunflower Oat Bread, The Third Time


Two weeks ago, you may remember that I tried to make bread again. I'm not going to try another recipe until I can get this one right. That may mean that I completely redesign the original recipe, until it doesn't resemble it at all. I may have hit that point. Welcome to part three of the Bread of Our Lives.

This morning Dylan and I mixed flour, water, yeast salt and a few other things and kneaded the dough. We really focused on the kneading this time. I think I may have kneaded for twenty minutes. We also used more yeast. I would estimate half a tablespoon, because I ran out. I wanted to use a whole tablespoon. The last two times, I've used a teaspoon. It didn't work, as my sister pointed out in the comments. The recipe calls for 2 3/4 cups flour, but we easily put in four. I just kept mixing it in until the dough was no longer sticky.

Recipe:
12" Dutch oven
350 Degrees
60 minutes
8 Servings

1 1/3 cup water
1/2 tbs active dry yeast

2 tbs butter, softened
2 3/4 cups white flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup rolled oats

Warm water and mix with yeast. Set aside to activate. Mix all ingredients and knead until the dough passes the windowpane test. Let raise 3 hours. Bake at 350 for 60 minutes. Let cool before cutting.

This time, the crumb was light and pillowy. The bottom crust was still hard, I think I'm adding too much heat on the bottom. It also raised! I put it over the heat vent and set the thermostat to 72. When we came home from church it had doubled in size, and the top had started to cook. That's probably not a good thing, but we are coming in leaps and bounds. I don't know where to put it to rise that will be warm in these winter months. Any ideas?

5 Stars

Bon Appetit! The Outdoors Start at Your Back Porch!

No comments:

Post a Comment