Saturday, August 14, 2010

Dutch Oven - Maurine's Sweet Carrots


Tonight we went to Silver Lake at the top of Big Cottonwood Canyon. I love Utah, because you can be in the woods within 30 minutes of the largest city in the state. We've made this trip a tradition each summer with our friend circle. We always go up to Silver Lake and have a cook off. Years past have involved close encounters with moose, a guy trapping squirrels and an inside joke regarding Richard Geere. It is so fun to go up and be in the mountains. This year, I took my ham radio and wanted to test to see if I could get into the new radio repeater on Scott's Hill. The repeater had problems, but what was cool is that my buddies Clint and Gordon were on Scott's hill doing some maintenance, and radioed back to me: "Where are you guys again?" "Silver Lake." "Turn around and look at Scotts." He used a signal mirror and we saw the signal at the top of Scott's Hill. It was really cool.

These carrots were a staple at Grandma Maurine's every time we would go have dinner at her house. This is one of my favorite comfort foods. My own Mother would often make them for Sunday dinner as well.

Recipe:
350 Degrees
12" or 10" Dutch oven
30 minutes

Carrots
Brown sugar
Salt
Pepper
Butter

Slice carrots. Add butter, brown sugar, and spices to carrots in Dutch oven. Bake for 30 minutes until the carrots are tender.

5 Stars

Bon Appetit! The Outdoors Start at Your Back Porch!

No comments:

Post a Comment