Sunday, July 18, 2010

Dutch Oven - Minestrone Soup


I've been in a bit of a cast iron funk lately. I don't know, maybe it's the fact that I keep cooking the same thing, or that I am doing this every weekend and I need a break. Either way, I decided to cook something different. I've been doing a lot of Asian lately, and I decided to to an Italian soup. I like Minestrone, and I don't really like stewed tomatoes. There is a little cafe near my office that has the best Italian. If you ever get the chance to eat at the CineGrill, make sure you do. The atmosphere is, well, think Italian romantic comedy. The food is awesome. You can' t go wrong. Try everything. And get the 'splash plate'. That's 1/2 the salad (still a lot) and soup. So here is where I drive this segway home... try the Minestrone. It's awesome.

Last night we had Eric & Heather over for dinner, it was a long overdue engagement. They were going through Johnson withdrawals, so we finally were able to get "you, your friends and your Johnson" together. (Inside joke, but Link)

If you leave out the meat and beef stock (totally acceptable) the dish is vegetarian.


Recipe:

12" Dutch oven
350 degrees
Roasting
60 minutes

sausage
garlic, chopped
2 cans stewed tomatoes, diced
2 cans red or kidney beans
1 cup macaroni
parsley, fresh chopped
chives, chopped
mushrooms
bell pepper, diced
green onion, sliced
carrot, sliced
onion, diced
celery, chopped
beef stock/bullion
water

Brown sausage, onions and garlic. Add tomatoes, beans, spices, and vegetables. Add water, beef stock and macaroni. Consistency should be a wet soup. (As opposed to a dry stew.) Simmer until macaroni is tender. Serve with salad and Parmesan cheese.

4 Stars

Bon Appetit! The Outdoors Start at Your Back Porch!

No comments:

Post a Comment