Monday, July 12, 2010

Dutch Oven - Kung Pao Beef

Sometimes life really throws you a curveball and kicks your butt. Loyal reader Pat Boydstun sent in some recipes for me to try, and we were cooking last night (and filming an upcoming YouTube podcast) when my son went careening on his tricycle off the patio onto the grass two steps down. He fell on his arm and broke it. I was horrified. I've never been so scared in my life, and he was very brave. I'm really proud of the little guy. The doctors say he should be fine and it will heal up just fine. Still, I feel bad for the little guy. At any rate, I'd like to post Pat's recipes, and I'll cook them as soon as I can. Here is number 1:

Kung Pao Beef in a Dutch Oven

1/4 cup light teriyaki sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1-1/2 pounds beef flank steak, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/3 cup dry-roasted, unsalted peanuts
4 scallions, thinly sliced

In a large bowl, combine the teriyaki sauce, cornstarch, crushed red pepper, and ginger. Add the steak; toss to coat.

In a Dutch oven heat the oil over high heat. Add the steak mixture; cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the steak is cooked through, stirring constantly. Sprinkle with peanuts and scallions and serve. I often add a little Sriracha with the other liquids to enhance the experience.


Bon Appetit! The Outdoors Start at Your Back Porch!

No comments:

Post a Comment