Friday, June 11, 2010

Snack - Easy Granola Bars

Last night I presented this recipe at Roundtable Training for the Boy Scouts. It got rave reviews and it is SO easy to make! Make a pan of these before a camping or hiking trip and you'll never run out of energy.

My wife and I have recently joined a hiking group that also are Amateur Radio operators like myself. Wednesday night we hike the Wasatch mountains near my home. This week, we hiked Butler Fork to access Circle All Peak. The sun was shining, a gentle breeze blowing and all was peaceful. We climbed 300 feet through a highland forest, and it opened up to an aspen meadow. We start up the ridge on the 13 switchbacks, and the clouds gathered, and it started to rain. We weren't afraid of the rain until we heard the thunder and saw the lightning. I got on the radio and announced that my wife and I would be heading down and would wait for the rest of the group. My buddy Josh radioed over and said he would be coming down as well. Soon, all the group was headed down, and we looked like a bunch of drowned rats. The butler fork trail forks into 2 routes, and soon we saw many hikers high tailing it down the mountain, not wanting to be caught in a storm cell. Thanks to my new soft shell and my nylon "parachute" hiking zipoffs, I was dry before we left the canyon. It was a lot of fun, even though we didn't break the 2 mile mark, and we turned back early.

Recipe:

Home Oven

350 Degrees

15-20 Minutes


Easy Granola Bars

3 Cups Granola, Oats, Puffed rice etc.

3 Cups Nuts, Dried fruit, Chocolate, etc.

1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk

Mix all ingredients in a greased mixing bowl, mixing with a greased wooden spoon. Press into greased 9 x 13 baking pan. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.

5 Stars
Bon Appetit! The Outdoors Start at Your Back Porch!

No comments:

Post a Comment