Saturday, June 19, 2010

Dutch Oven - Meatloaf


I had heard about the Dinwiddie Ring method from reading Toni's blog. (She is awesome, go check her site out!) I thought I would try it, maybe it could bring some method to my madness. However, it tanked bad. I had underestimated the amount of coals that I needed, and so it took a LONG time to cook. Below is the original recipe straight from our family cookbook. Follow this and you won't go wrong, we've done it many times, in conventional and Dutch ovens. It's really tasty and easy to make. Throw some potato chunks around the edge and you've got a complete meal.


12" Dutch oven
350 degrees
1 hour 30 minutes
Baking

2/3 cup breadcrumbs
1 cup milk
1 1/2 lbs beef
2 eggs
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp sage

Sauce:
3 tbs brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Mix ingredients for meatloaf together and press in greased Dutch oven. Mix sauce and put on top. Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes until cooked completely through.

5 Stars
Bon Appetit! The Outdoors Start at Your Back Porch!

No comments:

Post a Comment