Saturday, May 15, 2010

Product Review - Shark Brand Sriracha Sauce


Last week, we picked up thai takeout from our favorite hole-in-the-wall restaurant. We didn't phone ahead, because we couldn't find the takeout menu, so we had a few minutes to kill. We decided to go to the asian market 2 doors down and have a look around. We picked up some rice vinegar, sweet chili sauce and this sriracha sauce that I haven't had before. I decided to give it a fair chance and then review it here. Full disclosure: I am not being compensated for reviewing products on the Back Porch Gourmet, however I am not opposed to it, so if you are a product salesman that wants a fair review of your outdoor product or food, email me to get details.

If you regularly read this blog, you will know that I love the Huy Fong Foods' Sriracha Rooster sauce. This has a nice flavor, while still knocking your socks off with heat. I want to be as unbiased with this sauce as possible.

The nice thing about the Shark Brand, is it gives percentages of the ingredients right on the label:



Since 20% of the sauce is sugar, this is a really sweet sauce, and it is not very spicy. It went great with the thai curry, to spice it up a little, but I didn't like it on my eggs this morning. The flavor is full without overpowering you with spicy. For egg rolls, it goes great with a little soy sauce and garlic chili paste to make a great dipping sauce. I haven't tried it in an American chili, but the twist of sweet would be a nice change to the traditional chili flavor. They give you a full 25 ounces of sauce, and I only paid $2.49 at the Asian market.

In summary, this is a great sauce for Asian use, but I didn't like it on eggs. Try it in chili, but it may not be very good on pizza. Not bad for $2.49.

4 Stars

Bon Appetit! The Outdoors Start at Your Back Porch!

No comments:

Post a Comment