Thursday, January 28, 2010

Product Review - Volcano Model I


About a month ago, my coworker sold me his Volcano model I. I have used it extensively every weekend since then. I thus feel that I have gotten to know it very well, so I will review its performance.

The way these things work is there is an inner chamber where you place your dutch oven, surrounded by an air circulation chamber. This design is so effective that you can cook on top of a plastic table and no heat will escape down to the bottom. The bottom is cold to the touch for the first hour or so of cooking.

The thing I like about it is that it is so versatile. You can cook one pot dutch oven with even heating and increased efficiency, or do a stacked dutch for more volume, or use it as a campfire, or with the grill attachment you can barbecue over a wood fire.

Using the Volcano takes some getting used to. Because there is more heat transfer and reflection, you need to use a lot less coals or you will burn your meal. When we made breakfast for 35 people, the Volcano saved our skin, because we were able to rotate the 3 12" Dutch ovens in the volcano and cook them fast. The integrated flue helps control how fast the coals burn inside, which is a nice feature not available if you are cooking in the open.

The volcano gets the heat off the ground, so if you are cooking in snow or grass, it is not going to melt the snow, or burn out the grass. I wish I had the volcano at the City Weekly cookoff last year. I had to put my ovens on bricks and pizza pans.

Now it is time to talk about the cons. It's hard to find things I don't like about it. It is kinda big, and the model II takes care of that with a folding mechanism. I also wish I could put a larger dutch oven in it, but then it would be too big, wouldn't it? The thread on the screws to set the Dutch oven is really fine, and I would have liked to see bigger knobs, since it takes a long time to tighten the screws for my 10". Other than that, I think it is a great product and would recommend it to anyone from the novice to the expert.

5 Stars

Bon Appetit!
The Outdoors Start at Your Back Porch!

No comments:

Post a Comment